Thursday, June 26, 2008

Kapil's Devils relive 1983 glory at Lord's

| Lord's Pics

Sanjay Suri / CNN-IBN

TimePublished on Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 10:31, Updated at Thu, Jun 26, 2008 in Sports section

TagsTags: Cricket, 1983 World Cup , London
E-mail this report | Print this report

DEJA VU: India's 1983 World Cup winning team sit outside the Long Room at the Lord's.

DEJA VU: India's 1983 World Cup winning team sit outside the Long Room at the Lord's.

Featured Blog

Saqib Malik

Let the Yatra Go Green

Featured Slideshows
Ads by Google

London: For the past few weeks the talk about cricket in India has revolved around celebrations to commemorate the World Cup win of 1983. And the moment was finally relived in London on Wednesday with the Class of 83 taking a trip down memory lane at the home of cricket - Lord's

It was a feeling of Deja Vu as 25 years ago at Lord's Kapil Dev and his teammates celebrated a historic triumph - the Prudential World Cup win over the mighty West Indies.

Kapil Devil's were back again at Lord's to mark the silver jubilee of India's greatest cricketing triumph with the whites replaced by bandhgalas.

"I remember when Michael Holding tried to play that pull shot and the ball hit him on the pads and ricocheted off. And my first reaction instinctively was to try and stop a leg bye being taken so I ran towards the ball. And even as I was running towards the ball, there was such a big roar that I knew that the batsman had been given out LBW. So I mean I took that ball, put it in my pocket - and I think it was probably the fastest sprint that I have ever had in my life," Sunil Gavaskar reminisces.

For the 14-member team the memory is still fresh. Dismissed for a mere 183 not many gave them a chance. But cricket is all about glorious uncertainties and the best team in the world was humbled, bowled out for a mere 140.

No comments: